This will only take a moment.
Why are you interested in earning an MSW?
What program are you interested in?
Who is this brochure for?
Preparing You for Success in the Online MSW
Before beginning your application, we recommend reviewing the Master of Social Work (MSW) program requirements outlined below. Ensuring you have all required documents and letters will help expedite the application process. If you have any questions regarding the admissions process or application requirements, please contact an Admissions Advisor.
- Completed application
- A GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Applicants with a GPA less than 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) will be reviewed on an individual basis and considered for provisional admission; an interview and additional writing sample may be required.
- One personal statement:
- Topic: Why do you want to work in the Social Work profession?
- A second, optional personal statement may be included to provide additional relevant admissions information, such as gaps in academic or employment history, GPA, etc
- One letter of recommendation from a professional or academic reference
- Official transcript(s) of all previous colleges attended
- $50 non-refundable application fee submitted by credit card
For students applying for Advanced Standing, the following additional requirements must be met:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and a bachelor of social work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program
- Final fieldwork evaluation from the BSW program
Steps to Apply
||Length of Time
|Create Element account
|Complete application through Step 3
|Upload unofficial transcripts
|Request official transcripts
|Enter recommenders in Element
|Pay application fee
|Complete and submit application
|Submit letter of intent (if applicable)
|Pay enrollment deposit
Students transferring from an accredited MSW program can receive transfer credit for courses with a B-average or above. Each student transcript is reviewed on an individual basis and credits will be awarded accordingly. In addition to the above application requirements, transfer students must submit their final fieldwork evaluation.
International applicants must meet the following additional requirements:
- All transcripts and letters of recommendation must be translated and evaluated by an accredited provider
- Applicants who have been awarded a bachelor's and or graduate degree from an international higher education institution outside of the United States or a non-English speaking Canadian institution will need to submit a NACES transcript evaluation confirming the degree is equivalent to US standards. An applicant's international credentials will not be reviewed for admission consideration until a transcript evaluation is completed. All transcripts will need to be submitted from each institution unless you accumulated less than 12 credits. If admitted, all official transcripts and official transcript evaluation are due before the first day of class.
- TOEFL: Non-native English speakers at the 11th-grade level or above should take the TOEFL test to provide evidence of their English proficiency before beginning academic work. Students must earn, at minimum, 90-91 on the internet-based test, 233 on the computer-based test, or 577 on the paper test.
No Important Dates Currently Scheduled
Go Further with 24/7 Student Support
The online MSW program is meant to be a challenge for those who are called to serve, but your success is still our goal. When the moment arrives to ask for help, you'll find full support from faculty advisors, Student Success Coordinators and more.
Know Your Resources